Full Job Description
This is an Promotional/Open Competitive recruitment to create an eligibility list for current and future openings. Successful candidates are expected to work eight (8) hours a day, five (5) days a week, and twelve (12) months a year. Candidates must submit proof of all required documents to be considered for the examination process.
GENERAL PURPOSEUnder general supervision, performs a variety of skilled, journey-level tasks involved in the design, installation, maintenance and repair of manual and automatic irrigation systems; installs, maintains and repairs backflow prevention devices on irrigation systems; and performs related duties as assigned.DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS
Irrigation Technician is a skilled, journey-level class in the maintenance and construction trades series. Incumbents perform their duties independently, working from general instructions, work orders and their knowledge of irrigation requirements of large landscaped and turf areas. Assignments vary, encompass a variety of tasks, and require sound judgment and initiative.
Duties: The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this class.1. Plans, designs, installs, modifies, maintains and repairs manual and automatic irrigation systems, including pipes, valves, automatic control devices and sprinkler heads.
2. Inputs, cleans and adjusts sprinkler controls for correct time and duration of operation; ensures irrigation system operation supports District conservation objectives.
3. Services, repairs or replaces controllerand micro-switches in automatic timing devices.
4. Clears and adjusts sprinkler head heights for proper area coverage.
5. Maintains and replaces valves; unplugs and reroutes water and control lines.
6. Plans, designs and lays out new irrigation system installations, working from general instructions, rough sketches or work orders.
7. Orders and maintains an inventory of parts, supplies and material.
8. Installs, inspects, maintains and repairs backflow prevention devices on irrigation systems.
9. Maintains and updates the master blueprint of District irrigation systems.
10. May provide work direction to other maintenance personnel assigned to assist with irrigation system installations and repairs.
11. Operates a variety of power and hand tools and equipment; operates testing and measuring gauges and devices.
1. Uses computers and other equipment required to complete assigned tasks.
2. Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONSKnowledge of:
1. Methods and materials used in the maintenance and repair of automatic sprinkler systems including various timing devices, controllers, valves and heads.
2. Design and layout of general irrigation systems for large landscaped and turf areas.
3. Backflow protection methods, practices and devices.
4. Proper methods of pipefitting as related to sprinkler installation.
5. Equipment and tools required in sprinkler repair and installation.
6. Proper water conservation techniques applicable to the operation of large turf irrigation systems.
7. Sizes and specifications of pipes and fittings for proper volume and pressure.
8. Relevant health and safety regulations.
9. Basic record-keeping techniques.
10. Carrying and maneuvering techniques for equipment and supplies that exceed one hundred (100) lbs. in teams or through the use of specialized equipment.
1. Plan, design, layout, install and repair automatic irrigation systems.
2. Operate tools and equipment used in the repair and maintenance of automatic sprinkler systems including pipe threaders, cutters and trenching equipment.
3. Read and interpret blueprints of landscape or turf irrigation systems.
4. Follow oral and written instructions.
5. Order and maintain irrigation parts and supplies.
6. Provide work direction to others.
7. Work cooperatively with others.
8. Estimate time and materials for sprinkler repair work.
9. Handle equipment and other work related objects that weigh up to fifty (50) lbs.
Education, Training, and Experience:
A typical way of obtaining the knowledge, skills and abilities outlined above is two years of increasingly responsible experience in the installation, maintenance and repair of automatic sprinkler systems; high school diploma, G.E.D. equivalent or higher; or some combination of education, training and experience that produces the requisite knowledge and ability.
Licenses; Certificates; Special Requirements:
1. A valid California driver’s license.
2. Proof of insurability.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS
The physical requirements indicated below are examples of the physical aspects that this position classification must perform in carrying out essential job functions.
- Lift, carry, push, pull, bend, twist, stoop, kneel, walk, run, and crawl.
- Perform light physical exertion.
- Lift and carry 50 pounds.
- Reach in all directions.
- Stand, sit and walk for extended periods of time.
- Work at a desk, conference table or in meetings of various configurations.
- Read, interpret, and apply rules, regulations, policies and procedures
Persons with disabilities may be able to perform the essential duties of this class with reasonable accommodation. Reasonable accommodation will be evaluated on an individual basis and depends, in part, on the specific requirements for the job, the limitations related to disability and the ability of the selection authority to accommodate the limitation.
Examination Information:Examination Information:
After the evaluation of minimum qualifications, examination parts for this recruitment may include, but are not limited to the following: scored supplemental questionnaire, written exam, performance exam, oral appraisal interview, physical ability test, oral presentation, project assignment, etc.
Applicants must submit a full application. Failure to submit a complete application will result in disqualification from this recruitment. The Personnel Commission reserves the right to change, alter, cancel, add or modify examination parts, as well as weights and dates.